Instructor & Volunteer Positions
“Earthroots Field School has introduced me to an AMAZING community of people in southern California. I am beyond grateful for the opportunity to learn and grow as a teacher with this school.”
– Stacey Anderson, Instructor
Earthroots Field School (Earthroots) mission is to cultivate a sense of care and connection between people and the natural world. We do this through all outdoor classes and workshops on ecological gardening, nature awareness, primitive skills and sustainable living skills for ages 1 and up.
This position primarily works outdoors with children and one additional staff member. We welcome candidates who are passionate about connecting with nature and have enthusiasm for learning and growing.
Assistant Instructor, Forest Kindergarten: Monday & Tuesday 8:30-2:30
Volunteer, Homeschool Class: Wednesday 8:30-2:30
Volunteer, Eco-Literacy: Thursdays & Friday 8:30-3:30
Forest Kindergarten: Work with lead instructor in guiding small groups of children ages 3-6 in weekly, exploration-based nature classes involving singing, crafts, storytelling, nature observation, gardening and cooking. Communicate with parents, children and staff. Must have experience working with young children.
Homeschool Program: Assist the lead instructor in guiding small groups of children ages 6-12 in weekly, exploration-based nature connection classes involving hiking, gardening, wilderness awareness games, journaling and survival skills.
Eco-Literacy Program: Assist the lead instructor in guiding on-campus programs related to permaculture, ecological gardening, composting, recycling, survival skills & nature connection. Working with grades 2-8, teachers and faculty.
Each of these positions will also:
– support student and parent volunteers in developing their abilities to work with youth in nature
– represent Earthroots to build relationships with community liaisons, families and staff
– work together with administrators with clear communication and a strong work ethic
– CPR/First Aid Certification
– Fingerprinting upon request
– Valid Drivers License
– 20 hours participating in Earthroots Field School classes as a volunteer or intern
– Working cell phone
– Personal computer with internet access
– Reliable Personal vehicle
– Staff Training with Earthroots Field School
Preference will be given to applicants who have:
– Experience working with youth outdoors
– Early Childhood Education or Waldorf background
– Experience with another organization that uses 8 Shields or similar curriculum
– Knowledge of Southern California wilderness areas, regional parks, community and school gardens, organic farms, local community organizations, local educational programs and organizations
– Experience and training in the fields of Permaculture, Coyote Mentoring, Wilderness Awareness, Survival Skills, School Gardening, Ecological Gardening, Garden to Table Cooking or equivalent.
– Wilderness First Aid, Wilderness First Responder or equivalent
The Fall-Spring positions:
– Assistant Instructor: Forest Kindergarten, 6-12 hours per week
– Volunteer: Homeschool Class, 6 hours per week
– Volunteer: Eco-Literacy, 6-12 hours per week
Must be available from September 2018 through June 2019. These position may be fulfilled by the same candidate. Additional hours may become available throughout the year. Our goal is to find a good fit so that employment will continue through the school year, summers and beyond.
Compensation: Based on Experience, starting at $12-$15 per hour
To Apply: send resume and letter of interest to email@example.com, call (949) 709-5777