Earthroots is developing a 200 year plan for restoring and stewarding Big Oak Canyon. Volunteers are invited to assist with these efforts. All levels of experience welcome. Jodi Levine-Wright and Earthroots instructors will be guiding the work parties. Tools will be provided. All volunteers must sign an Earthroots Release Form prior to arrival.
Please register on Eventbrite or email firstname.lastname@example.org prior to event to RSVP.
All ages are welcome. Ages 12 and under require adult supervision. Ages 12-18 need an adult signature on release form.
2019 Schedule – Saturdays 9 – 12pm
Volunteer Day Tasks may include:
1) clearing non-native plants, trees, and grasses from our 39 acre property
2) restoring a seasonal wetland habitat
3) tending the orchard
4) litter removal
5) counting animal/plant species
6) meeting new friends
7) enjoy spending time in nature
8) physical outdoor labor
9) painting a shade structure and signs
Groups interested in private volunteer opportunities, please send inquiry to email@example.com
Big Oak Canyon in Silverado Canyon
Driving directions will be emailed upon RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
What to Bring
– gloves (or use ours!)
– weed whackers/whips (gas powered or battery powered – there is no electricity on site).
– towel, plastic bag (for your dirty clothes) & clean clothes to change into after working
What to wear
– close toed shoes
– long pants
– long sleeved shirt
– There is poison oak on site growing in some of the areas between the plants where we will be working. Everyone will learn to identify this plant before volunteering. For those brave enough to work near this incredible plant, you may want to wash before heading home.
– Ticks are found at Big Oak Canyon seasonally. The California Department of Public Health offers valuable information on all things ticks, including prevention, remove and treatment.
– Weeding grassy habitat may startle snakes and other small animals. Close-toed shoes, gloves and pants are required if you will be weeding.
– Children must be accompanied by their parents or other responsible adult at all times while on site.
– Everyone on site MUST fill out a Release Form.
RSVP for Driving Directions to Staci: email@example.com
The day begins with a welcome, history of the site and introduction to the days work. After that, we will break up into groups according to each work site and get to it!
We have most tools (shovels, rakes, brooms, saws, gloves) and request those who have weed whackers/whips and trucks for hauling cut brush, to bring them. Children’s size tools and gloves are not provided, please bring your own.
For those who are interested in touring the property, inquire with our staff about the possibility of a 1/2 hour tour of the property and our long term vision for Big Oak Canyon.
All volunteers must sign a waiver available on site and prioritize safety at all times. We recommend arriving a few minutes before 9:00 to fill out the waiver. Parents will be responsible for their children throughout the day.
Please bring: Water, lunch, tools (weed whackers, truck for hauling brush, children sized gloves/tools, or other favorites you like to use)
Click here to read more about Earthroots purchase of Big Oak Canyon.