“Earthroots Field School has introduced me to an AMAZING community of people in southern California. I am beyond grateful for the opportunity to learn and grow as a teacher with this school.” – Stacey Anderson, Instructor
Earthroots Field School (Earthroots) mission is to cultivate a sense of care and connection between people and the natural world. We do this through outdoor classes and workshops on ecological gardening, nature awareness, ancestral skills and sustainable living skills for all ages.
Earthroots is hiring both lead and assistant instructors to begin working with us in the coming semester. These positions primarily work outdoors with children and one additional staff member. We welcome candidates who are passionate about caring for the earth, have a background in nature connection/outdoor education and have enthusiasm for learning and growing.
Earthroots is an equal opportunity employer and encourages BIPOC candidates, people identifying as LGBTQIA+SGL, people with disabilities and people with working class backgrounds to apply.
*Our school year runs August through June. Additional hours may become available throughout the year. Our goal is to find a good fit so that employment will continue through the school year, summers and beyond.
Assistant Instructors will assist the Lead Instructor and support the class on the following goals:
- Guide small groups of children ages 5-12 in weekly, exploration-based nature classes with a variety of hands-on activities: wilderness awareness, ancestral skills, cooking, gardening, animal tracking, journaling, games, crafts, and storytelling
- Facilitate conflict resolution and group management
- Communicate via email, phone and in person with participants, their family members and staff
- Problem-solve situations as they arise
- Collaborate with the Earthroots team to build healthy relationships within the community
- Work together with Earthroots administrators with clear communication and a strong work ethic
- Support student and parent volunteers in developing their abilities to work with youth in nature
- Represent Earthroots to build relationships with community liaisons, families and staff
Once hired, Assistant Instructor will be required to:
- Obtain CPR/First Aid Certification
- Provide Valid driver’s license or state-issued ID
- Shadow an Earthroots class
- Have regular access to a working cell phone
- Have regular access to a computer with internet
- Have regular access to a reliable vehicle
- Attend staff training and monthly staff meetings
Hiring Timeline: Ongoing
Earnings: Based on experience, starting at $16-18 per hour
Volunteer positions are also available.
To Apply: send resume and letter of interest to [email protected].