“Earthroots Field School has introduced me to an AMAZING community of people in southern California. I am beyond grateful for the opportunity to learn and grow as a teacher with this school.” – Stacey Anderson, Instructor
Earthroots Field School (Earthroots) mission is to cultivate a sense of care and connection between people and the natural world. We do this through outdoor classes and workshops on ecological gardening, nature awareness, ancestral skills and sustainable living skills for all ages.
Earthroots is hiring an assistant instructor for our youth programs, which meet on various days throughout the week. Assistant instructors work outdoors with children and a lead instructor. We welcome candidates who are passionate about caring for the earth, connecting students with nature, and are enthusiastic about growing and learning. This position begins with training in April/May 2023. Optional summer work is available, then the weekly position runs from late August 2023 through early June 2024.
Earthroots is an equal opportunity employer and encourages BIPOC candidates, people identifying as LGBTQIA+SGL, people with disabilities and people with working class backgrounds to apply.
*Our school year runs September through early June, and we offer optional work during summer programs. Additional hours may become available throughout the year. Our goal is to find a good fit so that employment will continue through the school year, summer and beyond.
Assistant Instructors will:
- Assist the lead instructor in guiding small groups of children ages 5-12 in weekly, exploration-based nature classes with a variety of hands-on activities: wilderness awareness, ancestral skills, cooking, gardening, animal tracking, journaling, games, crafts, and storytelling.
- Assist with conflict resolution and group management as needed.
- Communicate regularly via email, phone and in person with the lead instructor and office staff.
- Help with class set-up and clean up, which may include lifting heavy materials up to 30 lbs, washing, sweeping, etc.
- Arrive on time, be dependable, and maintain a level of professionalism while working with students, staff and the community
Once hired, Assistant Instructor will be required to:
- Obtain CPR/First Aid Certification
- Provide Valid driver’s license or state-issued ID
- Shadow an Earthroots class
- Have regular access to a working cell phone
- Have regular access to a computer with internet
- Have regular access to reliable transportation
- Attend staff training and monthly staff meetings
Hiring Timeline: Ongoing
Earnings: Based on experience, starting at $18 per hour
Volunteer positions are also available.
To Apply: Send resume and letter of interest to [email protected]