Recommended for Grades 3-5
When you first encounter nature, the world of plants can look like a giant, green blur. Move beyond the green blur by getting to know some local plants. Learn about edible, medicinal, and poisonous plants and their uses through direct observation, hands-on activities, and games. Develop a deep connection with plants through direct experience gathering, tasting, and crafting with them.
Choose one of the following hands-on activities:
- Herbal Salve: Make a first-aid ointment infused with dried herbs used to soothe the skin.
- Elderberry Syrup: Use elderberries to make delicious syrup high in vitamins and antioxidants.
- Forage Wild Edible Plants (Varies seasonally): Bring that green blur into focus as you learn how to gather wild edible plants safely and sustainably.
- Elderberry Vials: Use elderberry branches to make a vial that can be used for storing small objects.
- Nature Crowns: Make crowns out of English ivy vines or Arroyo Willow branches harvested from the land.
Field Trip Details
Length of Trip: 3-5 hours (3 hour minimum)
Maximum field trip size: 60 participants (i.e. 2 classes)
Location: Most field trips will meet at Big Oak Canyon, our 39-acre property in Silverado Canyon. We are also available to meet at Orange County based wilderness parks, regional parks, or beaches. If you are interested in Earthroots instructors coming to your school or group gathering, we encourage you to check out our Earthroots Comes to You experiences. Otherwise, we look forward to welcoming you at Big Oak Canyon where you’ll step into a land of mature oak woodlands, a seasonal flowing creek, sagebrush hillsides, an orchard, and gardens. Our property connects to the Cleveland National Forest, with trails extending into steep hillsides with sweeping canyon views.
Field Trip Fees
(7 person, 3-hour minimum | 60 student maximum)
$15 per student per hour, for groups of 7-15
$12 per student per hour, for groups of 16-30
$10 per student per hour, for groups of 31-60
Don’t see your group size listed here?
Indicate how many students you would like to bring for a field trip on the field trip request form. We will do our best to accommodate your group size.
There is no fee for chaperones (teachers and parents) within the recommended ratio*, as long as attending chaperones are fully engaged participants.
*Recommended chaperone to student ratio is no more than 1:10. Additional chaperones will pay a $20 flat-rate fee per additional chaperone above the recommended ratio.