Earthroots is developing a 200-year plan for restoring and stewarding Big Oak Canyon, our 39-acre property in Silverado, California.
Volunteers are invited to assist with these efforts. All levels of experience welcome.
Next Volunteer Day at Big Oak Canyon
September 12, 2020
9am – 12:30pm
All ages are welcome. Ages 12 and under require adult supervision. Ages 12-18 need an adult signature on the release form. Tools will be provided. All volunteers must print and sign an Earthroots wavier prior to arrival.
Volunteer Day Tasks may include
- clearing non-native plants, trees, and grasses from our 39-acre property
- restoring a seasonal wetland habitat
- tending the orchard
- litter removal
- counting animal/plant species
- meeting new friends
- enjoy spending time in nature
- physical outdoor labor
- painting a shade structure and signs
Groups interested in private volunteer opportunities, please send inquiry to [email protected]
What to Bring
- signed waiver
- gloves (or use ours!)
- towel, plastic bag (for your dirty clothes) & clean clothes to change into after working – optional
What to wear
- close-toed shoes
- long pants
- long-sleeved shirt
– There is poison oak on-site growing in some of the areas between the plants where we will be working. Everyone will learn to identify this plant before volunteering. For those brave enough to work near this incredible plant, you may want to wash before heading home.
– Ticks are found at Big Oak Canyon seasonally. The California Department of Public Health offers valuable information on all things ticks, including prevention, remove and treatment.
– Weeding grassy habitat may startle snakes and other small animals. Close-toed shoes, gloves, and pants are required if you will be weeding.
– Children must be accompanied by their parents or another responsible adult at all times while on-site.
– Everyone on site MUST fill out a waiver.
Overview of the day
The day begins with a welcome, history of the site and introduction to the day’s work. After that, we will break up into groups according to each worksite and get to it!
We have most tools (shovels, rakes, brooms, saws, gloves) and request those who have weed whackers/whips and trucks for hauling cut brush, to bring them. Children’s size tools and gloves are not provided, please bring your own.
All volunteers must sign a waiver available on-site and prioritize safety at all times. We recommend arriving a few minutes before 9am to give yourself time to arrive at the site. Parents will be responsible for their children throughout the day.
Click here to read more about the Earthroots purchase of Big Oak Canyon.
RSVP for Driving Directions – [email protected]