Big Oak Canyon Caretaker | Instructor
Shane is the caretaker of Earthroots’ Big Oak Canyon property. He also teaches Astronomy Night, Bird Language, and several other classes and workshops. Shane is always there to lend a helping hand with Earthroots classes, Volunteer Days and other events at Big Oak Canyon. He has a calm and humble personality and loves a good story. He started volunteering with Earthroots when he was a teenager in 2011. He is dedicated to learning and sharing the skills that it takes to be a human living in deep connection to other living things.
His passion for nature has led him to on many exciting journeys, including:
- attending Teaching Drum Outdoor School
- studying wildlife biology at Humboldt State University
- working on various wildlife management and research projects for agencies and universities
- learning regenerative farming and land stewardship practices while living at the Oak Granary in Mendocino County
- working on prescribed fires with The Nature Conservancy and Forest Service
- becoming skilled in tracking, music, wild foods, animal processing, fiber arts, and other ancestral arts
- teaching hundreds of kids through Earthroots summer camps and nature connection programs
Shane is a kind and generous soul, and works very hard to keep Earthroots and Big Oak Canyon vibrant and prosperous so future generations can utilize and enjoy it.